Psychologists honored at the Practice Leadership Conference for advocacy work
Award winners are recognized for their efforts to advocate for professional psychology.
The Practice Organization honored psychologists, legislators and state psychological associations at the 2017 Practice Leadership Conference for their dedication and commitment to advocating for professional psychology.
In addition to presenting Rep. Tim Murphy, R-Pa., with the 2017 Outstanding Leadership Award, the following individuals and groups were recognized:
- Missouri State Rep. Keith Frederick, DO, won the APA Practice Organization State Legislator of the Year Award in recognition of his work to remove restrictions on psychologists’ ability to use Health and Behavior Codes in Medicaid along with his efforts to raise awareness on suicide and depression among medical students and physicians.
- Josephine Johnson, PhD, was honored with the APA Committee of State Leaders State Leadership Award for her distinguished record of contributions to the Michigan Psychological Association.
- Michael Butz, PhD, who is based in Montana, won the APA Practice Organization Outstanding Federal Advocacy Coordinator Award for his leadership in advancing the profession of psychology through federal advocacy.
- Lisa Willner, PhD, won the APA Div. 31 (State, Provincial, and Territorial Psychological Association Affairs) Outstanding SPTA Staff Member Award for her work with the Kentucky Psychological Association.
The following SPTAs were also recognized for their association’s advocacy and efforts to promote diversity and the involvement of psychology graduate students and early career psychologists:
- Div. 31 Outstanding State, Provincial and Territorial Psychological Association: Pennsylvania Psychological Association.
- Div. 31 Early Career Psychologist Awards: Indiana Psychological Association.
- Div. 31 SPTA Diversity Awards: California Psychological Association.
- American Psychological Association of Graduate Students Award, co-sponsored by the Committee for the Advancement of Professional Practice and Div. 31: California Psychological Association.
2017 Practice Leadership Conference Award Winners
State Legislator of the Year Award
Katherine C. Nordal, executive director, APA Practice Directorate (left), with Missouri State Representative Keith Frederick, DO, R-Dist. 121.