Technology and Electronic Health Records
This section includes information about building, operating and maintaining a technology infrastructure for your practice that simplifies record keeping, practice management, electronic claims submission and billing, while tapping into web resources for appropriate and effective outreach to potential clients and referral sources.
Electronic Health Records
APA participates in hearing on EHR certification program
New voluntary program intended to improve coordination of care.
Is cloud computing right for your practice?
This article discusses cloud computing, including privacy and security issues, to help determine if this option is right for you.
- 10 Tips for Selecting an Electronic Health Record System (PDF, 255KB)
How much do you know about electronic health records?
Take our quiz to help you find out.
- Keeping Electronic Health Records Private and Secure (PDF, 276KB)
Video: Electronic Health Records
This video offers psychologists an understanding of how electronic health records work
- Putting Electronic Health Records into Practice (PDF, 153KB)
- Charting the Course of Electronic Health Records (PDF, 197KB)
Electronic Claims 101: The Future Is Now
Practitioners are finding that transmitting insurance claims electronically to carriers, managed care companies, and other healthcare payers can increase their practice's cash flow and help to streamline their billing operations.
Privacy of Health Records a Top Concern for Consumers
It is important for practitioners to ensure they have taken steps to adequately protect their patients' records as required by HIPAA, and to communicate this information to current and potential patients.
Privacy and Security Online
- ABCs and 123s of Encryption (PDF, 279KB)
Text therapy: New platforms spark questions
Several companies have developed Web-based platforms designed to connect prospective therapy clients with a professional via text messaging. However, many questions arise for consumers and psychologists as these companies promote this new way of engaging in therapy. Here are several considerations for psychologists and the public.
Mobile mental health
The growing market of mobile apps includes mental and behavioral health-related apps that could be used to supplement psychological services.
- Managing Fallout from Online Reviews (PDF, 315KB)
- The New World of Apps (PDF, 357KB)
- Social Media: What’s Your Policy? (PDF, 112KB)
- How to Recover Your Data When Disaster Strikes
Identity Theft: Take Steps to Minimize Risk
According to a 2003 survey of identity theft victims, the emotional impact of identity theft can parallel that of victims of violent crime. Setting accounts and credit right again takes victims an average of 600 hours of work.
- Avoiding Identity Theft: Tips for Psychologists
- Protecting Your Patients from Identity Theft
- Securing Your Computer
- Beware of Spyware: Is Your Computer Being Monitored?
Automating Your Practice
Automating Your Practice, Part 1:
Work Smarter, Not Harder
Important factors to consider in automating a practice, including making effective use of technology to handle routine administrative tasks.
Automating Your Practice, Part 2:
Deciding What Technology You Need (and Don’t Need)
Learn how to conduct a technology needs assessment to identify computer hardware and software tools to automate your particular practice.
Automating Your Practice, Part 3:
Selecting and Configuring Technology
While each practice is unique, and each will likely have special hardware or software needs, here are a few sample equipment, software and service configurations designed to get you started.
- An Ounce of Prevention: Prepare for Computer Failure
Getting Control of Your E-mail Inbox
Managing email can also be a burden, consuming practitioners' time and taking them away from other important business and professional activities. This article offers some simple tips for getting control of your email inbox and processing your email more efficiently.
- Eight Simple Tips for Keeping Your Computer Running Smoothly
- Finding the Computer Support You Need
- Getting the Most from Your Computer
- Elements of a Professional Website