State Leadership Conference Tips from the Committee of State Leaders
- You will receive the final SLC program (PDF, 490KB) when you pick up your nametag and conference bag at the SLC registration desk, which will open at 9:45 a.m. on the first day of the conference, Saturday, March 8. Your conference bag will also contain other very important information that we encourage you to read.
- Since it is impossible to attend every workshop yourself, sit down with your SPTA delegation and decide who will attend what. If you are with a very small group, decide what information is critical to your SPTA and prioritize that way.
- For the Hill visits — staff will hold preparation briefings so that you can get a sense of what your visit will be like and what is expected of you; these briefings will also help you to understand the issues for which you will be advocating. Check with your executive director to confirm you are included in the Hill visits. Schedules for the visits should be submitted in advance of the conference to Ashton Randle or by fax at (202) 336-5797.
- If you are vegetarian or vegan or have special dietary needs the hotel will do its very best to meet them. Please contact Susie Lazaroff by Friday, Feb. 28 so that she can inform the hotel.
- Weather in March in Washington, D.C. is unpredictable — it could be surprisingly warm but it could also be snowing, raining or very cold. Make sure to bring an umbrella and raincoat in case it is cold and rainy on the day of the Hill visits when you will be doing a lot of walking outside (and bring comfortable shoes for that day as well). We also recommend checking the weather conditions before you pack.
The Practice Directorate staff is available throughout the conference — they will be wearing white “staff” ribbons. If you have any questions about the conference, please contact Jason Deselms, chair, Committee of State Leaders, Dan Abrahamson, PhD, assistant executive director, State Advocacy or Susie Lazaroff, director, State Advocacy.